Lyric sheets: Elton John paid himself a record pounds 35 million last year...
Friday 20 June 1997
His million-dollar birthday bash
Made less a dent on his estate
Than pinpricks could on armour plate
From Moosedong, Maine to old Berlin
The juke-box whirs, the loot comes in
The punters wait, the discs go on
Surprise, surprise. It's Elton John
While Radio Mongolia play
"Your Song" at least eight times a day
On nearby tundra in some yurt
A tartar throws up on his shirt
But "Rocket Man" makes more each week
From being translated into Greek
Than Princess Di might cost on hire
To mind your kids and lay the fire
More wedge comes in while he's asleep
Than most of us could count in sheep
And even if his airplay fails
There's merchandise and ticket sales
And all that stuff involved with sport
And settlements made out of court
Which one supposes means he's got
Not quite as much as Camelot
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God