Monitor: Quotes of the Week
Saturday 22 May 1999
George Best (above), ex-Manchester United player, being named as Footballer of the Century
"The idea of me renouncing Thatcherism is about as possible as me selling my parents into slavery."
Peter Lilley, Conservative Deputy Leader
"Notoriety is never a bad thing in the public relations business."
Max Clifford, PR guru
"The most exciting thing about the Spice Girls is David Beckham."
Boy George, singer
"I am desperate if I find there are British press on a foreign visit. I know they'll wreck the thing if they possibly can."
Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh
"My visit to Washington is designed to demonstrate the solidarity of the alliance."
Robin Cook, Foreign Secretary
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 3 The 'sex selfie stick' lets you FaceTime the inside of a vagina
- 4 Why you're almost certainly more like your father than your mother
- 5 Westboro Baptist Church couldn't picket Leonard Nimoy's funeral because they didn't know where it was
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Nigel Farage promises Ukip will not 'stigmatise' would-be migrants – and says he wants 'everyone to speak the same language'
Ex-head of MI6: 'We shouldn't kid ourselves that Russia is on a path to democracy'
Most people think legal tax avoidance is just as wrong as illegal tax evasion, poll suggests