Monitor: US comment on the prospective vote to impeach President Clinton
All the News of the World
Thursday 17 December 1998
The Washington Post
SINCE CLINTON will not do the honorable thing, the House must do the right thing, which is to vote to impeach Clinton and have him tried in the Senate. This is about duty, honor and upholding the Constitution. Lying under oath is an impeachable offense. The Senate needs to have the opportunity to decide if the charges brought before the House are true. If they are, then Clinton must be removed from office.
Salt Lake City Deseret News
CONGRESSIONAL CENSURE must condemn his conduct and include an agreement that he will not seek or accept federal office after his term ends. To be held accountable means to accept the consequences of one's actions. Forfeiting future office is a consequence more meaningful than a fine, which Clinton would have others pay. Clinton can yet restore some honor to his name by coming clean with Congress and the American people.
HISTORY WILL condemn the Republicans for using their constitutional powers as an instrument of partisan vengeance. [They were] intended as a scalpel for the cutting out of cancers, not for the excising of unsightly pimples. We say that from the platform of our record of consistently criticizing Clinton, his failure to lead by example and his abandonment of his constitutional duty to defend and uphold the law. He is, in sum, a man you cannot trust whether you have his handshake, signature or word on a Bible.
The New York Times
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans