MUSIC / Notices: The Snow Queen - Trinity Theatre, Tunbridge Wells
Saturday 05 December 1992
He has melodic fluency and the confidence to write tenderly without mocking the sentiment. Which voice is his own? When the jokes stop, it comes out rather like Britten. If anything it's too nice - even the robbers are socialists waiting for better times - and too long. But tightened up, with a higher scare factor, it will appeal to audiences at all levels. Certainly it had a persuasive premiere, as Manning switched between lip-curling narrator and lyrical ruler of the icy wastes, Tracey Chadwell and Pal Rullestad role-swapped with relish, and Louisa Brown gave a brave, touching portrayal of the girl who defeats the Snow Queen.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Bad luck, One Direction: Paul McCartney doubts success of The Beatles will ever be matched again
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
Game of Thrones season 6: Daenerys actress Emilia Clarke says '50/50 chance' Jon Snow is alive
The last decade has produced just four UK festival headline acts
What if Nicolas Cage played every character in Game of Thrones?
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture