Music Upbeat: Worlds apart
Hall, a well-established organist and composer, the first black music graduate from Oxford University, is the nephew of the late conductor Rudolph Dunbar. The BBC once responded to an enquiry from Italy about booking Dunbar that 'we are not prepared to accept him as a conductor. . . it's possible that interest has been aroused in him as a Negro who is attempting to become a serious musician'. The broadcast is due next Friday and Saturday.
Arts & Ents blogs
Thirteen-year-old Conor awakes in bed one night to discover that the yew tree outside his house has ...
It’s hard not to feel sorry for doe-eyed Andy. He spends months pining after Louise, has huge nostr...
Fragility of life looms large over an episode that closes with the scarring on Julie's stomach. Whil...
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria