Alum review: Linda Thompson, Won’t be Long Now (Topic)
Sunday 13 October 2013
A first outing since 2007’s Versatile Heart, and there’s been no discernible falling off. The voice will never return to its pre-dysphonic mobility, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a highly expressive instrument of significant tone – mournful, knowing and creased with experience.
The arrangements are instrumentally small, as is suitable, with lots of space to allow the voice to breathe (besides, daughter Kami and Eliza Carthy are on hand to do some heavy lifting). And Richard’s on it, accompanying her solo on the funny-bleak “Love’s For Babies and Fools”.
The songs? A mixture of her own compositions, covers, and co-compositions with son Teddy and Ron Sexsmith. Messrs Mansfield, Swarbrick and Carthy are also in da parlour.
Broadcaster unveils Christmas scheduleTV
Review: Posh journalists just can't get enough of each otherTV
Jeff Fletcher found fame in 1990s
'At times I thought he was me'film
Review: One Direction, Fourmusic
Review: The World of Ice and Firebooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Black Mirror Christmas special: Jon Hamm episode will see people 'blocked' in real life
True Detective series 2: Rachel McAdams cast in female lead as 'no-nonsense' detective
Zoella: YouTube sensation Zoe Sugg's debut novel expected to become overnight bestseller
Naked free runner captured in breathtaking photographs above London's streets
Posh People: Inside Tatler, BBC2 - TV review: Fundamentally not just about posh people
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict