Anathema exclusive album stream: Get a first listen to the band's new record Distant Satellites
“Fortunately for us the tunes keep coming,” Anathema’s Daniel Cavanagh said of the band’s 10th studio album, Distant Satellites, which is streaming in full on The Independent today.
"We’re not very conscious writers. We’re people who let the music come through us and we try to get out of the way a little bit. It’s as much about getting out of the way as it is about controlling the music."
True to his word, the progressive band from Liverpool have been successfully "getting out of the way" of their own music since their conception in the mid Nineties. This time, however, they’ve eschewed unnecessary complexity in favour of a meticulous, stripped back approach to their songwriting.
"We thought it was time to strip the elements back, so unless something really needs to be there we’re not gonna put it on," Cavanagh continued. "It was a bit of the Radiohead Kid A approach. OK Computer was very dense and layered, and they came back with this stripped back recording that was based and built around the vocals, and it wasn’t totally jammed and multi-layered."
The record was produced and mixed by Christer-André Cederberg at his own Cederberg Studios in Oslo, Norway, as well as Steve Wilson, who mixed some of the tracks, and Dave Stewart, who composed the orchestral arrangements.
It’s set to be released on 9 June 2014, and can be pre-ordered here.The track list for Distant Satellites is as follows:
1. "The Lost Song Part 1"
2. "The Lost Song Part 2"
3. "Dusk (Dark Is Descending)"
5. "The Lost Song Part 3"
7. "You’re Not Alone"
9. "Distant Satellites"
10. "Take Shelter"They have also announced a series of live dates, which can be seen here.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter