Cancer-hit conductor Ozawa cancels more concerts

Click to follow
The Independent Culture

Acclaimed Japanese conductor Seiji Ozawa, who is suffering from cancer, has cancelled a six-month tour with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra that was due to open in December, an aide said Thursday.

The announcement came less than a month after he cancelled a tour of Europe for five concerts in December, but "he is recuperating steadily", an official at his Tokyo office said.

"The latest cancellation is not because his disease is worsening but because he is preparing for full recovery and needs to reduce his workload," she said.

The 74-year-old Vienna State Opera musical director said in January he had been diagnosed with cancer of the oesophagus and had cancelled work for at least six months to undergo treatment.

In April he announced the cancellation of more appearances but said he was recovering well.

"He decided to cancel some tours abroad, but will maintain his schedules involving events in which he plays the director's role," the official said.

He plans to return to the Saito Kinen Festival in Japan in September, and an appearance at New York's Carnegie Hall is set to go ahead as planned on December 14, she said.

The maestro has suffered ailing health in recent years, most recently undergoing emergency surgery for a hernia last year.

He has had a long international career, spending nearly three decades at the Boston Symphony Orchestra before moving to Vienna in 2002.

Comments