CLASSICAL MUSIC / Upbeat: Slugging it out
Saturday 15 January 1994
A more concrete result for the ABO has arrived in the form of a national concert series which will involve 12 orchestras all playing the same new work by James MacMillan. The LSO has the premiere at the Barbican on 21 September, and the remaining dates follow through the autumn in other British cities. Each date will involve a 'meet the orchestra' workshop. The scheme has been set up as the start of a three-year sponsorship from BT.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Stall talk: The arcane rules of chit-chat that take place in the gents'
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
The top gay icons (straight up!)
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
- < Previous
- Next >