A beginner’s guide to David Cameron’s favourite, Gillian Welch
Gillian Welch has joined a list of musicians – including The Smiths, Lana Del Rey and Band of Horses – unfortunate enough to get the seal of approval from David Cameron.
Music manager Peter Mensch, husband of Louise, told The Sunday Times Magazine about being introduced to the PM at a reception. "I tell him what I do and who I manage and he goes, 'Gillian Welch? We love Gillian Welch'! He won't stop talking about her."
Welch is a 45-year-old Grammy-winning musician from Nashville who specialises in a blend of Americana, bluegrass and country. The Independent's Andy Gill awarded her most recent album, last year's The Harrow and the Harvest, five stars, commenting on its "heartbreaking melodies" and "haunting beauty". The anecdote (and Cameron's rumoured attendance at a concert) might dampen the spirits of anyone who thought the PM's surprisingly decent taste in music was no more than a successful PR coup.
Grace Dent on TV The Secret Life of the Pub is sexist, ageist and a breath of fresh air
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Woman 'suffocates newborn baby in plastic bag and puts it in her desk minutes after giving birth'
- 2 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
- 5 Chinese student carries disabled friend to school every day for three years
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove