Agenda: John Newman; Julia Davis; wedding season; 10 O'Clock Live; New York-style dining
People, places, notes and observations...
Middle-class problems: Hygiene
By Marianne Levy
And so, I ask myself once more, is this clean? It looks clean. It smells clean. But could I lick it without getting ill? Yes, I know it's a wheelie bin. Still… could I?
Louis Pasteur's discoveries might have saved millions, but man, he's made life annoying. Got your hand-sanitiser gel? And your worktop spray? How about an automated, touch-free soap dispenser? Because there's really nothing worse than getting dirty fingers in the four seconds before you wash your hands.
The resulting paranoia means that there are many, and I very much include myself, who waft around trying not to touch anything at all. I shut toilet doors with my elbows, I avoid shaking hands to the point of rudeness and when it comes to escalators, it seems I'd rather tumble 100ft through a string of aghast commuters than risk being contaminated by the handrail.
I do know it's pointless – that short of relinquishing all human contact, those wily little wrigglers will get me however much I spray and wipe and squirt. I understand that a bit of gunge is good for the immune system and I'm well aware that crushing 99.9 per cent of germs sounds great (until the remaining 0.1 per cent rise up to destroy us all).
So it seems that I have two options. The first is just to accept that life is a mucky old business; that it's unlikely my flame will be snuffed out by whatever it is that resides under the rim of the loo. The second is to walk the earth in an irradiated plastic bubble, like a gigantic, sterile hamster.
Thank goodness option two hasn't been invented… yet.
Glastonbury Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend will perform with Paul Weller as their warm-up act
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Boston Marathon runner's search for mystery man she kissed ends with letter from his wife
- 2 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
- 3 Frankie Boyle on Scottish independence: 'In the Interests of Unity, F**k Off'
- 4 How to gain confidence and maximise your sexual potential
- 5 Chinese theme park sets up 'death simulator' where volunteers can experience being cremated
Penny Dreadful, series 2 episode 1, review: It is still gloriously silly
Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
Eurovision 2015: What date and time is the song contest and who are the favourites to win?
How the Other Half Eat, Channel 4 - TV review: Swapping food trolleys shows how food and class are closely connected
Noel Gallagher 'cannot wait' to hear Oasis-inspired One Direction album but rants about 'pointless' Tidal and Spotify
In defence of liberal democracy
General Election 2015: Post-election 'shambles' looms as 70 per cent of voters say SNP 'should not be able to veto UK government policies'
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils