Club of the week: Rinse FM Christmas Party, Fabric, London EC1
Saturday 22 December 2012
Rinse FM came of age in 2012 as it marked 18 years in radio. Initially spawned as a pirate station, it has since 2010 been a licensed station, and all the while an incubator and nurturer of underground sounds and talent.
For example, Rinse supported dubstep and grime for years before they entered mainstream consciousness, and it provided a platform for artists including Dizzee Rascal, Tinchy, Katy B, Skream and Benga.
Rinse FM's Boxing Day Fabric takeover features more than 50 DJs and artists, including grime MCs P Money, Scrufizzer and Blacks, convivial jungle revivalist Uncle Dug, drum'n'bass/dubstep/crack house trailblazer Zinc, dancehall don-dadas the Heatwave, funky house fiends Marcus Nasty and Roska, and mindstep pioneer Crises.
Naturally, in this day and age, you can have a virtual rave by tuning in live and direct via rinse.fm. As they say in pirate radio land, "Keep it locked."
(020 7336 8898; fabriclondon.com) Wed
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: Learn from Quebec's mistakes and beware of promises. Vote Yes.
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 Revealed after 75 years of secrecy: 'Fifi' the glamorous WW2 special agent who tested British spies' resolve
- 5 Have you heard about the film Singapore has banned its people from watching? Well, you have now
Laurie Lee's Rosie: What is it like to inspire a writer's work and be immortalised forever on the page?
Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
Doctor Who series 8: Time Heist pictures revealed ahead of episode 5
The Walking Dead season 5 air date, trailer and season 4 recap
Star Wars 7 leaked set photo of Adam Driver changes everything
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'