Cultural Life: Daniel Merriweather, musician
Friday 24 July 2009
I'm listening to Johnny Cash, Jay-Z, Stevie Wonder, Otis Redding, Howlin' Wolf and 'This Charming Mixtape' by Theophilus London.
I've been reading lots of Jean Baudrillard. Just finished 'The Perfect Crime'. I'm halfway through 'Simulacra and Simulation' and I have 'The Intelligence of Evil or the Lucidity Pact' waiting in the wings.
Generally TV scares me, but 'The Wire' is dope.
The last film I saw was 'Tokyo!' which is actually three short films directed by Michel Gondry, Leos Carax and Joon-Ho Bong. I also loved 'Into the Wild'. One of my favourite movies is the original 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.
I saw an Off-Broadway production called 'Fela', which is a musical about Fela Kuti, who is one of my favourite artists.
I really like Miru Kim's 'Underground Art'. She took this series of photos of herself naked in underground caverns, sewers and abandoned warehouses in New York.
Daniel Merriweather's new single, "Impossible", is out on 17 August
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Belgium fan Axelle Despiegelaere lands L'Oreal campaign after World Cup viral photo
- 2 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 4 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
- 5 Iraq crisis: How Saudi Arabia helped Isis take over the north of the country
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
Emergency data law: David Cameron plots to bring back snoopers’ charter
NUT strike: David Cameron announces crackdown on strike action ahead of mass industrial action