Cultural Life: Jamie Cullum, musician
Friday 18 January 2013
I love Flying Lotus's album Until the Quiet Comes. He makes wonky electronic music that has real soul. I think Efterklang make some of the most beautiful music of our times and they proved that yet again with their latest album Piramida. Kendrick Lamar's Good Kid, MAAD City is by far my favourite hip-hop album for some time. I listen to it loud, at home after the baby has gone to bed.
Django Unchained from Quentin Tarantino, though unrelentingly gruesome, was the tensest and most truly cinematic film I have seen for some time. There are scenes which will remain with me forever.
I went to Shoreditch Town Hall to see Lungs by Duncan Macmillan as part of the National Theatre's Roundabout Season. It's a universal story about a young couple contemplating having a baby and packed full of so many embarrassing truths. It jumps years instantly at a time – which managed to make this little play with just two actors conversing within a simple set seem incredibly epic.
I've just finished season three of Boardwalk Empire, which I'm obsessed with.
Jamie Cullum is performing at Martell Very Special Nights on 26 January. martellveryspecialnights.com
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
The Google future, including microphones in every ceiling and data sent directly to your brain
Arts & Ents blogs
YouTube star Rebecca Black is back with Saturday (it's a sequel to Friday, see?)
Norman Rockwell’s 'Saying Grace' tops record week of art auction sales in US
X Factor 2013: Luke Friend wins place in final as Rough Copy sent home
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
Katie Hopkins mocks name of sick girl featured in X Factor charity appeal
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >