Cultural Life: Kate Royal, soprano
Friday 24 April 2009
I'm listening to Tony Bennett "Young and Foolish". I will never tire of this beautiful, flawless recording. I've also been listening to every single recording I could get my hands on of "Mi Tradi" from 'Don Giovanni', in an attempt to discover how best to tackle this crazy aria.
As I'm in the process of moving house I'm obsessed with all house buying, selling, renovating shows. For travelling I love 'Flight of The Conchords' and will probably start my second run of 'Six Feet Under'.
I just finished Steve Martin's biography. A very funny and moving account of his career. Somehow one cannot imagine that comedians suffer stage fright just as we do. I've just started 'Anna Karenina'.
On a flight recently I watched a fantastic film called 'La Graine et le Mulet'. Its English title is 'The Secret of the Grain'. One of the best films I've seen in a very long time. It stars Hafsia Herzi who completely steals the film in an amazing belly dancing display.
Midsummer Night is released by EMI Classics on 4 May and she performs at the Wigmore Hall on 7 May
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >