Fantasy Band: Fryars, singer
'Earl Sweatshirt's only 19, but he's the best rapper around'
Friday 24 May 2013
Vocals: Earl Sweatshirt
I have a very musical backing band and it would be nice to have a rapper with them. He's the best rapper. I think he's the youngest member of Odd Future – he's only about 19, but he's so much more articulate and creative with his phrasing than pretty much anyone else around.
Bass: Dave Richmond
He started in Manfred Mann, but went on to play the bass on most Serge Gainsbourg records, including Histoire de Melody Nelson. He's a wonderful bass player and definitely my favourite. I'm not sure how much Serge was just instructing him on what to do, but I'll give Dave the credit for it.
Rhythm section: J Dilla
He was one of the pillars of hip-hop. He played the drum machine live on all of his recordings – that's why they sound how they do, being not perfectly in time, which is what, I guess, gives it a particular feel. It's something that has moved into fashion in quite a big way.
Orchestra: John Barry
I won't list the whole orchestra, but he'd be in charge of it with all the arranging and conducting. I do like all of his jazzier stuff, but his Bond work was just incredible.
Guitar: Dave Longstreth
He's the frontman for Dirty Projectors and I think they're the best band. As a guitarist, he's developed a completely individual playing style which is intensely musical but not boring. While some of the band's work is lacking in emotion and sometimes goes a bit too far up its own arse, at its best it is better than anything around.
Fryars' new single, "On Your Own", is out now. Fryars play London's Islington Assembly Hall on 4 July
Arts & Ents blogs
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 Q&A by Simon Calder: How far could it have travelled? Who was responsible and what would their plans be? And how can a plane just vanish?
- 4 California man Christopher Viatafa surrenders to police after googling own name and discovering himself listed as ‘most wanted’
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers