Folk gig of the week: Big Session, Catton Hall, Derbyshire
What began as casual after-hours sessions kick-started by Oysterband is now a main stage event sporting a big range of talent.
Saturday features almost 30 acts, including Kami Thompson with her 2011 debut Love Lies, Eddi Reader, Kris Drever, Martin Simpson and his band, and the sublime Jonny Kearney and Lucy Farrrell.
Sunday has Bellowhead singer Jon Boden with his Remnant Kings, weaving music from the dystopian Songs from the Floodplain with his A Folk Song a Day project, while Fay Hield's Hurricane Party band features Boden, fellow Bellowheader Sam Sweeney and Andy Cutting.
Boo Hewerdine and Brooks Williams' State of the Union host a songwriter's circle featuring Kris Drever, while Oysterband and June Tabor perform from the great Ragged Kingdom. All that, and the art-folk of Duotone, Idlewild singer Roddy Woomble, and Show of Hands with Miranda Sykes. How big can you get?
(01629 827012; bigsessionfestival.com) today & Sun
Arts & Ents blogs
What a wonderful way to end this momentous series in the 50th year of Doctor Who. From the start of ...
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
Fela Kuti, Jewish food and The Great Gatsby are just some of the reasons why the rainy weather ahead...
- 1 Tears and cheers as David Beckham ends glittering career after helping PSG to final win
- 2 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 Cameron goes to war with press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.