Folk gig of the week: Steve Earle & the Dukes (and Duchesses), various venues
Friday 17 May 2013
After many solo visits, Steve Earle returns with the Dukes, Duchesses and one of his best albums in years. Fiddles, barrelhouse piano, banjo, Stonesy guitar and lap steel feature on the The Low Highway.
He's got a new kind of voice, too; less growled, just as travelled. It's the first time he's had the band behind him since 1987, so expect a setlist going back to Guitar Town.
Symphony Hall, Birmingham (0121 780 3333; thsh.co.uk) Monday; RFH, London SE1 (020 7960 4200; southbankcentre.co.uk) Tuesday; Sage, Gateshead (0191 443 4666; thesagegateshead.org) Thursday; Colston Hall, Bristol (0117 922 3686; colstonhall.org) Friday
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 If you weren't afraid of flying before last week... you probably are now
- 2 Israel-Gaza conflict: The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 3 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 4 Lauren Goodger calls for tougher laws on revenge porn after sex tape leaks online
- 5 Iraq crisis: End 'very near' for Christianity after Isis takeover, says Bishop
Israel-Gaza conflict: The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Opponents of Israel's military operation in Gaza are the real enemies of Middle Eastern peace
Were 'Poor Doors' added to mixed developments so wealthy residents don't have to go in alongside social housing tenants?
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia