From Miley's twerk to Madonna's kiss: The most outrageous moments to date from the MTV VMAs
She ‘twerked’, stripped on stage and repeatedly licked her lips, but Miley Cyrus’ VMA appearance is just one of the many outrageous moments to emerge from the show.
There was no misguided foam finger involved in Madonna, Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera’s 2003 three-way smooch, but that didn’t stop outraged parents across the US speaking out about their kiss.
And a full five years before Janet Jackson’s Super Bowl wardrobe malfunction, Lil Kim bared her left breast during the ceremony for the world to see.
But the unscripted moments speak for the VMAs’ notoriety as well.
And Eminem’s verbal bashing with Moby at the VMAs later became lyrical inspiration for his track ‘Without Me’.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery reports: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Video: Boxer Vido Loncar brutally assaults referee following defeat
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991 with most Brits wanting to stay in'