How long can you avoid the Harlem Shake?
Until today I ignored the Harlem Shake. I knew it was a video found online but that was it. I knew models were doing their own version of it, and fire-fighters, and bored office workers, but I didn't know what they were doing. I was not going to be sucked into another online meme. When people spoke of it down the pub, I would shake my head and proudly announce that I had no idea what the Harlem Shake was.
I took a similar tact with Gangnam Style, refusing to watch it despite parody versions being made by everyone from Ai Weiwei to Jersey Shore cast members. But then one day I cracked; it was too hard to ignore. Sometimes you just want in on the conversation.
The first Harlem Shake video, (OK, OK, the idea is that people film themselves staying still while others dance around them to a track called "Harlem Shakes" by Baauer) was uploaded on 2 February. YouTube estimates that by the end of last week over 40,000 versions had been uploaded and collectively they have been viewed over 175 million times. The song is currently at number two in the UK charts. So I surrendered. If you've managed to come this far without watching it, I'd suggest you keep it that way.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Breaking Bad season 6 hoax: Vince Gilligan has not confirmed a new series
Strictly Come Dancing v X Factor: Simon Cowell blasts BBC over scheduling war
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
- < Previous
- Next >