Jazz festival of the week: Glasgow International Jazz Festival, various venues, Glasgow
Friday 21 June 2013
One of the highlights of this festival's 27th year will be the Blind Boys of Alabama on Thursday, while young saxophonist Laura Macdonald fronts a quartet including bassist Michael Janisch.
Burt Bacharach is on Friday, and over 29 and 30 June there's free-jazz terror from the Ames Room, singer Sarah Jane Morris, the great Stan Tracey Quartet, and the quietly spectacular Matt Halsall with experimental trio GoGo Penguin.
Throughout, there is also a delicious series of Classic Album Sundays, where the likes of Way Out West, Time Out and A Love Supreme are played on vinyl, on one of the world's best hi-fi systems.
jazzfest.co.uk, Wednesday to 30 June
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
- 2 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery: 'I'm living a more fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 3 Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes too far at the Q Awards
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 NHS staff banned from drinking tea or coffee on the job because it looks like they're not working hard enough
MOBO Awards 2014: Jess Glynne hits out at 'ridiculous' criticism of nominated white artists
American Horror Story season 4, Fox - TV review: Silly, sensational and sensitive
MOBO awards 2014: Sam Smith sweeps the board with four gongs
The Apprentice, episode 3 - review: Lord Sugar hacks away at the deadwood with another double elimination
Channel 5 set to give Big Brother the cold shoulder
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'