Jazz Festival of the Week: Liverpool International Jazz Festival, Capstone Theatre, Liverpool
Friday 22 February 2013
The Roller Trio travel over the Pennines from Leeds to Liverpool to launch the city's first International Jazz Festival, followed by a free, late-night set from trumpeter Martin Smith's new band the Weave.
Friday has the raucous eclecticsm of Led Bib, plus a late, free set featuring GORP's "council estate prog".
Over the weekend, there's Robert Mitchell, the pianist Kit Downes and Denys Baptiste's Triumverate trio, who meld familiar songs into new soundscapes. Courtney Pine closes the festival with a band drawn from Africa, Europe and the Caribbean.
(0151 291 3578; thecapstonetheatre.com) Thur to 2 Mar
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 2 Perez Hilton apologises for Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
- 5 Jennifer Lawrence 'naked sex video' will be leaked threatens 4Chan celebrity photo hacker
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain