My Fantasy Band: Dave Matthews
Friday 19 June 2009
Vocals Marvin Gaye
I don't think there's ever been a better singer than Marvin Gaye. I'm a fan of his from top to bottom.
Guitar Joan Armatrading & Bonnie Raitt
Very few people know how great a guitar player Joan is. She doesn't follow a path that was cut before her. My favourite record of hers is probably "Show Some Emotion". Bonnie Raitt is awesome too.
Banjo Danny Barnes
He's this tall blond dude from Texas. He once told me: "Dave, when you talk like I do and play the banjo, people assume you're stupid." But he brings the funk.
Organ Ivan Neville
He plays the keys like nobody's business. He's funky so he should play the organ.
Bass Victor Wooten
If someone held a gun to my head, and the only way to get out of it was to scientifically choose who the greatest bass guitar alive was, I'd choose Victor.
Drums Carter Beauford
He's maybe in my band but I reckon he's caused more drummers to give up drumming than any other, because he's too good and they give up. But then he's probably inspired lots of people to pick up drumsticks for the first time too.
The Dave Matthews Band's album 'Big Whiskey' and the GrooGrux King is out now. They play Brixton Academy 25 and 26 June, Hard Rock Calling 28 June and Wolverhampton Civic Hall 29 June
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 4 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 5 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
- < Previous
- Next >