Observations: A new era of turntablism
Friday 11 September 2009
Over the years they have seen Chad Jackson, Cash Money, A-Trak and Scratch Perverts vie for the prize of world champion DJ, and now DMC are celebrating the 25th year of their annual competition. From USA's 1986 winner DJ Cheese, who brought scratching into the competition, to 1997's victorious A-Trak, Kanye West's tour DJ, who, at 15, was the youngest-ever world champion, the annual competition has tracked the years of boundary-pushing and trend-setting in the art of turntablism.
DJs from 30 countries gather to take part in the competition tonight and tomorrow at the O2's Indigo2 in London. As well as the competition which seeks to find the world champion of 2009, and features this year's UK winner DJ Rasp., there will be performances from DJ Yoda and former world champion DJ Q-Bert.
To complete the 25th anniversary celebrations which are being hosted by Killa Kela, DMC have brought together some of the stars including Q-Bert, Rob Swift, DJ Fly, Shiftee and Switch to perform together in a super jam. And indie and rock fans will also be aware of DMC – for producing some of the best CD compilations – the Back to Mine series which have seen acts from Orbital and Tricky through to Mercury Rev and Guillemots create their mixtapes.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter