Observations: Clubland goes Bite-sized
Friday 20 March 2009
Who says London's clubland is dead? Certainly not Lydia Butler, hostess and DJ at Bite, a new night at the Soho venue Punk. Butler made her name by playing to up a thousand every Saturday at Holborn's After School night. Bite's inaugural evening, on Monday, offered up cheap drinks, more girls than boys, a BBC3 film crew, photographers from Vice and model scouts galore.
Those in attendance were generally under 30, wore hats or gravity-defying hair and layers of make-up. The night began at eight with a "showbiz quiz" (prizes included meals at upmarket eateries and free drinks) followed by a medley of four DJs playing everything from Kanye West to Animal Collective and Squarepusher. By the evening's hazy conclusion, all and sundry were on their feet. "The philosophy is that there's no point going home drunk at 11 on a Monday night, you might as well go home at three," said one reveller. The recovery has begun.
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
food + drinkMichelin-starred Tom Sellers on being this year's hottest property
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
tvParents (and kids) rejoice! A new wave of fantastic family entertainment is here
food + drinkHow one grocery e-tailer is gearing up for the Yuletide rush
food + drink
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Back in Black (Sabbath): On the comeback trail with Ozzy Osbourne and crew
The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >