Page 3 Profile: Paul Wood, Rugby player
Tuesday 09 October 2012
League or Union?
League. The 30-year-old is a prop forward for Warrington Wolves, although he will probably be taking at least a couple of games off after his team's Grand Final defeat by Leeds Rhinos at the weekend.
Why so? Did it go badly?
It couldn't have gone much worse. Wood picked up an injury in the second half when he was kneed in the groin. Little did he know he had ruptured his right testicle. Despite the injury, he played on for a further 20 minutes before he was taken off by coach Tony Smith.
How did he not notice?
Well, apparently it did "smart" a bit but the well-hard Wood just took it in his stride – and even showed up for post-match interviews.
Did he mention it then?
Did he hell! But when he eventually made it to hospital he was told he would need to have the ruptured testicle removed. Still, the bravado didn't end there. Wood joked on Twitter: "Just coming out the hospital to go home ... seriously feel like I've left something?"
Blimey. Does this kind of thing happen often?
Unfortunately, yes, and not just to rugby players. Last season, the Blackburn Rovers defender Scott Dann suffered a similar injury and was out for six weeks, while Gillingham player Chris Whelpdale split his scrotum in a Boxing Day win over Crawley Town.
Arts & Ents blogs
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke and Lady Gaga attacked by Noel Gallagher in 2013 music rant
Sir Elton John lashes out at Russia’s anti-gay laws in Moscow show
Doctor Who Christmas special 2013: New pictures released of Matt Smith's finale
Grace Dent on TV: Imagine – Who’s Afraid of Machiavelli?
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >