The Barometer - 01/01/10
Friday 01 January 2010
The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You
The heartfelt title track from the latest album by these Carolina bluegrass hipsters.
jj - Ecstasy
The Swedish ambient pop-makers return with their third LP and a UK tour, supporting The xx, in March; until then, we'll make do with this stunning slo-mo take on rave and hip-hop from last year's jj n° 2 album.
The Maldives - Time Is Right Now
The Seattle nine-piece kick up a country-rock storm.
Yeasayer - Ambling Alp (Memory Tapes remix)
This sunny remix of the band's current single will keep us sated until their new LP arrives in February.
Big Mama Thornton - Hound Dog
The original and best version of the R'n'B classic, included on the soundtrack of Nowhere Boy.
Orange Juice - Rip It Up
"Rip it up and start again," declared Edwyn Collins and company in this new-wave classic from 1983. The perfect motto, perhaps, for a new year and a new leaf.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Scottish independence live: Scotland gives a clear 'No' in historic referendum - as it happened
- 3 iOS 8 is full of shiny new features - but it's terrible news for app developers
- 4 Friends 20th anniversary: Six things we wouldn't have without influential comedy series
- 5 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
Jay Z fights lawsuit over use of oh in 'Run This Town'
Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams cast in Channel 4 drama about cyber bullying
Downton Abbey: Liam Neeson wants role as stableman in period drama
Star Wars 7 leaked photo of Adam Driver changes everything
The Walking Dead season 5 synopsis: Spoilers and existential questions revealed
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'