The Barometer - 01/01/10
Friday 01 January 2010
The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You
The heartfelt title track from the latest album by these Carolina bluegrass hipsters.
jj - Ecstasy
The Swedish ambient pop-makers return with their third LP and a UK tour, supporting The xx, in March; until then, we'll make do with this stunning slo-mo take on rave and hip-hop from last year's jj n° 2 album.
The Maldives - Time Is Right Now
The Seattle nine-piece kick up a country-rock storm.
Yeasayer - Ambling Alp (Memory Tapes remix)
This sunny remix of the band's current single will keep us sated until their new LP arrives in February.
Big Mama Thornton - Hound Dog
The original and best version of the R'n'B classic, included on the soundtrack of Nowhere Boy.
Orange Juice - Rip It Up
"Rip it up and start again," declared Edwyn Collins and company in this new-wave classic from 1983. The perfect motto, perhaps, for a new year and a new leaf.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 2 War is war: Why I stand with Israel
- 3 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 4 World Cup 2014: Robin van Persie appears to give his bronze medal to eccentric Netherlands fan moments after being handed it by Sepp Blatter
- 5 Iraq crisis: How Saudi Arabia helped Isis take over the north of the country
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’