The Barometer - 01/01/10
Friday 01 January 2010
The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You
The heartfelt title track from the latest album by these Carolina bluegrass hipsters.
jj - Ecstasy
The Swedish ambient pop-makers return with their third LP and a UK tour, supporting The xx, in March; until then, we'll make do with this stunning slo-mo take on rave and hip-hop from last year's jj n° 2 album.
The Maldives - Time Is Right Now
The Seattle nine-piece kick up a country-rock storm.
Yeasayer - Ambling Alp (Memory Tapes remix)
This sunny remix of the band's current single will keep us sated until their new LP arrives in February.
Big Mama Thornton - Hound Dog
The original and best version of the R'n'B classic, included on the soundtrack of Nowhere Boy.
Orange Juice - Rip It Up
"Rip it up and start again," declared Edwyn Collins and company in this new-wave classic from 1983. The perfect motto, perhaps, for a new year and a new leaf.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 4 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
- 5 German man found living with 300 rats in tiny apartment
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture