The Barometer: Rage Against the Machine; Liars; Lightspeed Champion; Nite Funk; Laura Marling; Fucked Up
Friday 11 December 2009
Rage Against the Machine Killing In The Name
A campaign has kicked off to take on the "X Factor" Christmas single with this 1990s classic. We support the cause. It brings out the angry teenager in us all.
The art-rockers' intense new single starts quiet and then gets very loud. Either way, it's pretty good.
Lightspeed Champion Marlene
The first single from Dev Hynes's new album packs a punch with dramatic strings and 1970s guitar pop.
Nite Funk Am I Gonna Make It
Producer Dam-Funk and singer Nite Jewel get together for a sleek synth-funk trip back to the 1980s.
Laura Marling Goodbye England (Covered In Snow)
Marling's new song with smart lyrics over a spare guitar proves the "new folk" scene has still got legs.
Fucked Up Do They Know It's Christmas?
The Canadian punks take a charitable swipe at the Christmas favourite with the help of an all-star indie cast including GZA, Yo La Tengo, and David Cross.
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Angelina Jolie confirms retirement from acting: 'I've never been comfortable on-screen'
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures