The Barometer: Speech Debelle; Florence Rawlings; Thom Yorke; Dan Black; Riceboy Sleeps; Cornelia
Friday 24 July 2009
Speech Debelle Searching
Homelessness is a rare inspiration in rap, but Mercury nominee Debelle proves it's a subject worth examining.
Florence Rawlings Take Me in Your Arms and Love Me
A sassy new white soul singer gies a fresh feel to a sixties classic on her fine debut album A Fool in Love.
Thom Yorke All for the Best
From Ciao My Shining Star, an album of Mark Mulcahy covers, released to aid the singer and his children after the sudden death of his wife, Melissa.
Dan Black Let Go
The melancholic final track on Black's debut album, Un, this will take you back to the "chill-out" era of the late 1990s. In a good way. Honest.
Riceboy Sleeps Happiness
Meditative and moving, this is a standout track from the new album by Sigur Ros frontman Jon Birgisson and his boyfriend Alex Somers.
Cornelia Livin it Peach
A mellifluous rap track from Sweden's newest star.
Art Piece taken off website amid 'severe security alert'
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Academy criticised after no non-white actors nominated
tvAn expose of hooliganism masquerading as an ideological battle
artLee Hadwin can't draw when he's awake, but by night he's an artist
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 5 Watch Richard Dawkins read his own hatemail: 'I hope you do get sodomised by satanic monkeys in hell'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
Leaked documents show Ukip leaders approve NHS privatisation once it becomes more 'acceptable to the electorate'