The Barometer: White Denim; Dizzee Rascal; Alela Diane; Oumou Sangare
Friday 24 April 2009
What's hot on our playlist...
White Denim I Start to Run
Breakneck, virtuoso garage-punk-funk possessed of an itchy urgency bordering on sheer panic.
Dizzee Rascal Bonkers
A sure-fire dance anthem for the summer, or we've all gone bonkers.
Alela Diane White as Diamonds
This comfortingly plaintive acoustic gem, with its stunning cello refrain, is just beautiful.
Oumou Sangare Wele Wele Wintou
A polemic against forced marriage sung over an insistent and funky fusing of traditional and modern instruments.
Sonic Youth Sacred Trickster
New York's "radical adults" still have more energy and ideas than most young pretenders.
Speech Debelle Go Then, Bye
Rising MC serves up a luscious original with incredible lyrics.
tv Review: Miranda Hart and co deliver the festive goods
tvReview: Older generation get hot under the collar this Christmas
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 3 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 4 AirAsia flight QZ8501 missing: Search for plane carrying 162 passengers from Indonesia to Singapore suspended overnight
- 5 Game of Thrones is most-pirated TV show of 2014
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2014, review: Love is everywhere, actually
The golden age of TV comedy is here
The Boy in the Dress, TV review: David Walliams' Boxing Day treat is a celebration of being different
From Marvel to Star Wars: The rise of cinema’s shared universes
Exodus: Gods and Kings banned in the UAE for 'religious mistakes'
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk