The Barometer: White Rabbits; Islands; Dum Dum Girls; Field Music; The XX, D'Angelo
White Rabbits Rudie Fails
A highlight from the forthcoming second album, It's Frightening, by the rock genre-bending Brooklynites.
Islands No You Don't
The jittery alt-electronica outfit pull off a Hollywood coup by scoring the actor Michael Cera for a turn as a hapless drugs punter in their new promo.
Dum Dum Girls Jail La La
Punky guitars and 1960s girl-band harmonies mix nicely on the first single from their debut album, I Will Be.
Field Music Measure
It's nice to find an indie band happy to use strings in a more creative way than, say, Oasis, and the title track from Field Music's new album is all the greater for it.
The XX Islands (Nosaj Thing remix)
A trip-hop-like makeover for the moody Londoners.
D'Angelo Playa Playa
The first track from the singer's R&B/soul masterpiece, Voodoo, released 10 years ago. Will 2010 be the year he finally makes a follow-up record?
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery reports: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Video: Boxer Vido Loncar brutally assaults referee following defeat
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991 with most Brits wanting to stay in'