The Playlist: SBTRKT / Fergus and Geronimo / Bat for Lashes / Django Django / Blood Diamonds / Dirty Projectors / Black Moth Super Rainbow
Released on his SoundCloud this week, "Gloss" finds SBTRKT in a blissed-out haze, all melodic hooks and chilled-out, summer-evening euphoria.
Fergus and Geronimo
Post-punk that's both retro and innovative. Could easily have been a lost gem from 1979.
Bat for Lashes
A haunting piano riff begins this melancholy ode to a troubled friend. Subtle, heartfelt and profoundly moving.
DD go for a more organic sound on this slightly wonky indie-pop track. The disorientating chord changes are typically eccentric.
This trance-influenced trip-pop track will appeal to fans of Grimes' quirkier work.
Scuzzy, lo-fi garage punk. The recording quality lacks the low-end to make it a classic, but "Buckle Up" is an interesting little nugget nonetheless.
Black Moth Super Rainbow
BMSR make psychedelic, guitar-heavy, synth-punk that retains a pop sensibility.
To mark Tolstoy's 186th birthdaybooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Amy Winehouse statue unveiled in Camden
- 2 Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
- 3 George Galloway on Scottish independence: The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
- 4 Headaches, fry ups, and hair of the dog - why do we get hangovers, and is there such thing as a 'cure'?
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
George Galloway on Scottish independence: The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained in Los Angeles after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Scottish independence: Britain faces 'constitutional crisis' at next election
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly