The Top Ten: Best rhymes in songs
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 08 June 2014
We did worst rhyming couplets last year, but recently I had a nostalgic Spotify session rediscovering Squeeze, which reminded me of the genius of Chris Difford's lyrics. A lot of nominations this week, but I was looking for more than 'clever lines in a song I like that also rhyme'...
1. 'You told me love was too plebeian/ Told me you were through with me and…'
Arthur Hamilton, "Cry Me a River", sung most memorably by Julie London. From Solly and Ben Ross.
2. 'My pulse will be quickenin'/ With each drop of strychnine/ We feed to a pigeon/ It just takes a smidgen'
Tom Lehrer, "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park", from Francis Wheen.
3. 'I saw two shooting stars last night/ I wished on them but they were only satellites'
Billy Bragg, "A New England". Issy Flamel and Anthony Wells.
4. 'Shetland pony/ Extra pepperoni'
Motorhead, "Eat the Rich", from Martyn Jackson.
5. 'Tempted by the fruit of another/ Tempted, but the truth is discovered'
Squeeze, "Tempted". Unusual whole-phrase rhyme.
6. 'People laughed and called it folly/ But we connected like a Yeboah volley'
Los Campesinos, "Glue Me", from Tim Miller.
7. 'Was it a millionaire who said "Imagine no possessions"?/ A poor little schoolboy who said "We don't need no lessons"?'
Elvis Costello, "The Other Side of Summer", from Richard T Kelly.
8. 'Richard got married to a figure skater/ And he bought her a dishwasher and a coffee percolator'
Joni Mitchell, "The Last Time I Saw Richard", from Donald Macintyre.
9. 'She said she'd seen a doctor/ And nothing now could stop her'
Squeeze, "Up the Junction", from Lesley Smith.
10. 'If I rhyme about home and got descriptive/ I'd make 50 Cent look like Limp Bizkit'
K'naan, Somalian rapper, from Ian Birrell.
Next week: Underrated family films (such as 'Atlantis: The Lost Empire')
Coming soon: Recurring news stories (such as 'Leaked details of new "Star Wars" film anger fans'). Send ideas for future Top 10s, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Art Piece taken off website amid 'severe security alert'
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Academy criticised after no non-white actors nominated
tvAn expose of hooliganism masquerading as an ideological battle
artLee Hadwin can't draw when he's awake, but by night he's an artist
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 5 Watch Richard Dawkins read his own hatemail: 'I hope you do get sodomised by satanic monkeys in hell'
Mr Selfridge series 3: Actress Kara Tointon says 'we're starting to see his demise'
Ed Sheeran texts Noel Gallagher to offer him tickets after Wembley Stadium rant
Benedict Cumberbatch says Hollywood is better for black British actors
Emma Watson to play Belle in Beauty and the Beast
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
Leaked documents show Ukip leaders approve NHS privatisation once it becomes more 'acceptable to the electorate'