The Word On... Given to the Wild, The Maccabees
Friday 13 January 2012
"A slew of potentially overbearing indie-kid epics offset beautifully by discreet vocals, percussion and lilting arrangements at every turn... [the] quality is evident pretty much throughout, but picks of the bunch are 'Forever I've Known' and closer 'Grew Up At Midnight', whose similarly huge finale seems to have the smell of main-stage fireworks in its nostrils." bbc.co.uk/music
"These songs were written for an imaginary Pyramid Stage audience... the heart-thumping energy of their first records is not in evidence, and 'Given To The Wild' feels like a wasted opportunity." musicomh.com
"Somewhat uneasy listening in places, yet sublime in others, 'Given To The Wild' should rid The Maccabees of those 'landfill' jibes once and for all.." drownedinsound.com
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: Learn from Quebec's mistakes and beware of promises. Vote Yes.
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 Revealed after 75 years of secrecy: 'Fifi' the glamorous WW2 special agent who tested British spies' resolve
- 5 Have you heard about the film Singapore has banned its people from watching? Well, you have now
Laurie Lee's Rosie: What is it like to inspire a writer's work and be immortalised forever on the page?
Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
Doctor Who series 8: Time Heist pictures revealed ahead of episode 5
The Walking Dead season 5 air date, trailer and season 4 recap
Star Wars 7 leaked set photo of Adam Driver changes everything
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'