The Word On: Happiness, Hurts
Friday 10 September 2010
"Almost as retro as Roland Rat in a Frankie T-shirt eating a Wispa, but far, far more elegant... Style and gravitas are all very well – if Hurts could also have been consistent with the substance, 'Happiness' would have trounced its 80s counterparts and many of its contemporaries, too." bbc.co.uk/music
"It's this capacity to write immediately affecting songs coupled with an effortless cool that will see Hurts catapulted towards stardom." musicomh.com
"Would surely be better if they committed to one or the other: either a genuinely enjoyable electro-pop act, or a band capable of sloughing their trendy trappings to the point they could write a song as transcendentally earnest as 'Back For Good' or 'Stay Another Day'. For now they are, in essence, a couple of slightly confusing men dressed as Nazis." thequietus.com
game of thrones reviewWarning: spoilers
North London meets The Exorcist in eerie suburban drama
Filming to begin on two new series due to be aired on Dave from next year
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Lucy Hawking: Stephen Hawking's daughter writes impassioned open letter to Katie Hopkins about rights of disabled people
- 2 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
- 3 Russell Brand backs Ed Miliband: 'You gotta vote Labour'
- 4 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 5 Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want
Over 50,000 families shipped out of London boroughs in the past three years due to welfare cuts and soaring rents
EU asylum policy is 'a direct threat to our civilisation', says Nigel Farage
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
In defence of liberal democracy
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils