World festival of the week: Songlines Encounters Festival, Kings Place, London N1
Friday 31 May 2013
The second festival from the world music magazine features encounters, flirtations, l'amour fou and blind dates between acts from all over the world.
Wednesday's opener pitches Polish folk band Volosi with Georgia's 33a, while Thursday's highlight is Cairo's Baladi Blues Ensemble paired with the Cajun magic of Lousiana's Sarah Savoy.
On Friday, Senegalese stars Malick Pathé Sow & Bao Sissoko join with Palestine’s Duo Sabil and the guitarist John Williams. Among the many free events, there’s the swing-influenced Dakota Jim Band, and fantastic accordionist Martynas Levickis.
020 7520 1490; kingsplace.co.uk, Wednesday to 8 June
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
- 2 The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 3 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
- 4 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star, dies aged 45
- 5 Businessman charged £75 for three small bottles of water in London hotel
The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Were 'Poor Doors' added to mixed developments so wealthy residents don't have to go in alongside social housing tenants?
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Opponents of Israel's military operation in Gaza are the real enemies of Middle Eastern peace