World music of the week: Bombino, Village Underground, London EC2
Friday 19 April 2013
Omara "Bombino" Moctar is a brilliant young Tuareg guitarist and singer-songwriter from Agadez in Niger, with Nomad, a bone-shaker of a new album, produced by the Black Keys' Dan Auerbach at his studio in Nashville.
Fans of his last album, Agadez, and Ron Wyman's accompanying film will find a heavier but equally hypnotic and raw Tuareg rock. Bombino hadn't heard of the Black Keys before Auerbach introduced himself after a show last year – his Western influences were Hendrix and Knopfler.
For his only UK show, expect a crowded room and spectacular sub-Saharan guitar shredding.
020 7422 7505; villageunderground.co.uk, Thursday
Threat of 'catastrophic cascade of collisions' must be averted, warn scientists
Arts & Ents blogs
Dennis Hopper's lost sixties photo album found
What are the best first lines in fiction?
Russell Crowe's Noah banned in three Arab countries before worldwide premiere
Sharknado 2: Former WWE wrestler Kurt Angle to fight second wave of flying sharks
Call The Midwife: Jessica Raine leaves in series three finale
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Vince Cable: Teachers 'know absolutely nothing' about the world of work
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
- 1 Australian man Rod Sommerville reacts to bite from deadly snake by reaching for cold beer
- 2 North Korea elections: Kim Jong-un wins 100% of the vote
- 3 David Cameron resorts to paying for Facebook fans because not enough people like him
- 4 Steve Irwin’s final words: Cameraman present at death opens up about deadly stingray attack for the first time
- 5 Sharknado 2: Former WWE wrestler Kurt Angle to fight second wave of flying sharks