World music of the week: Natacha Atlas, Elgar Room, Royal Albert Hall, London SW7
Friday 11 October 2013
The autumnal arrival of the Nour Festival, trailing contemporary culture from the Middle East and North Africa in Kensington and Chelsea, opens its music programme with a special performance from the former singer and dancer with Transglobal Underground.
Natacha Atlas has built an illustrious solo career melding eastern and western music – most recently for Angelin Preljocaj's latest ballet, Les Nuits.
She leads a seven-piece band in the Elgar Room through a set which is almost certain to contain some of the Rahbani Brothers' great songs from Lebanon, and from her album perfumed by early 20th-century Arabic song, Ana Hina.
020 7589 8212; royalalberthall.com; tonight
Victoria in Australia is set to become the first state to introduce new legislation on “sexting”, meaning it is now illegal to distribute to a third party a sexually explicit image of somebody without their consent.
filmFilm producers sue Warner Bros for $75m over Hobbit films
voicesJust when you thought you could find a man, get married, and have a baby by the age of 35... it turns out you’re too late, says Grace Dent
Swedish stars ask fans for £195 pledges on crowd-funding website
Arts & Ents blogs
The desolation of the Weinstein brothers: Film producers sue Warner Bros for $75m over Hobbit films
Christmas songs: the best and the worst
Your Money, Money, Money please - Abba ask fans for £195 pledges on direct-to-fan website
Not all right on the night
Lost Peter Sellers films Dearth of a Salesman and Insomnia Is Good for You hailed as the movie equivalent of 'finding Dead Sea Scrolls'
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute in Soweto
- 2 French café starts charging extra to rude customers
- 3 Australia: Gay marriage law reversed by high court less than a week after first weddings
- 4 Exeter to Edinburgh and back in a day: How one fresher's lost bet left him facing a 900-mile round trip
- 5 Australia incest case: Severely deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
- < Previous
- Next >