Album: Chumbawamba, The Boy Bands Have Won (No Masters)
Now a quintet, the Yorkshire subversives once renowned for dousing the Deputy PM have recast themselves as inheritors of the activist folk tradition of Leon Rosselson.
It’s a guise that fits them: they’ve clearly worked hard on their harmonies to carry off a cappella pieces like “Sing About Love”.
And their aim is as true as ever, too, with acid critiques of industrial alienation (“I Wish That They’d Sack Me”), and tributes to Bertolt Brecht (“(Words Flew) Right Around The World”) and a Mexican revolutionary (“El Fusilado”), and best of all, a disconcertingly jaunty evocation of internet forums as fertile ground for sinister stalkers (“Add Me”).
To order any CD previewed here, call the Independent Music Service on 01634 832789.
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
Game of Thrones season 5: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as it’s not him
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
New Ghostbusters movie lands all-female cast with Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones
Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
Louise Mensch says 'F**K YOU' in explosive tweets about David Cameron, Saudi Embassy and the Queen over King Abdullah tributes