Album: Clear Frame, Clear Frame (Continuity)
This first release on Charles Hayward’s Continuity label finds the former This Heat drummer involved in a series of absorbing improvisations with a select crew of free-jazz stylists: Soft Machine bassist Hugh Hopper, veteran sax eccentric Lol Coxhill, young vibes/steel pans innovator Orphy Robinson, and national treasure Robert Wyatt on cornet.
They’re like musical cartographers mapping changes in the terrain. The unhurried, reflective opener “Clean Slate” is typical, with rippling eddies of Robinson’s steel pans and Coxhill’s soprano sax riding the undulating rhythms.
Wyatt’s asthmatic cornet pairs well with Coxhill’s wheezing sax on “Tin Plate”, while elsewhere, Robinson’s vibes and Hayward’s percussion on the excellent “Better Late” recall Stomu Yamash’ta’s early-Seventies recordings.
To order any CD previewed here, call the Independent Music Service on 01634 832789.
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
The Google future, including microphones in every ceiling and data sent directly to your brain
Arts & Ents blogs
YouTube star Rebecca Black is back with Saturday (it's a sequel to Friday, see?)
Norman Rockwell’s 'Saying Grace' tops record week of art auction sales in US
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2013: New pictures released
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
Katie Hopkins mocks name of sick girl featured in X Factor charity appeal
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >