Album: Son Of Dave, O3 (Kartel)
Benjamin Darvill’s performances as one-man-band Son Of Dave have probably made him a cooler prospect now than when he was in the charts as part of Canadian alt.rockers Crash Test Dummies.
And deservedly so judging by this latest album, on which he expands his basic looped bluesharp, beatbox ’n’-foot stomp grooves to accommodate additional layers of guitar, piano and organ, along with some sultry female backing vocals underpinning his own whisky ’n’ Woodbine voice.
Like Seasick Steve, the key to Son Of Dave’s appeal lies in the mesmeric, mantra-like quality of his grooves, whether he’s doing a strutting funk-blues rap chant like the opening “Old Times Were Good Times”, combining hums, murmurs, handclaps and gently throbbing harmonica as on the spiteful “Your Mercedes”, or effecting a slinky falsetto cover of War’s classic “Low Rider”.
"Lover Not A Fighter" from O3 features in this month's Independent Audio Player. CLICK HERE to listen.
To order any CD previewed here, call the Independent Music Service on 01634 832 789.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 3 Do you know this man? Amnesia sufferer found in park pleads for help in identifying who he is
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories