Album: Son Of Dave, O3 (Kartel)
Benjamin Darvill’s performances as one-man-band Son Of Dave have probably made him a cooler prospect now than when he was in the charts as part of Canadian alt.rockers Crash Test Dummies.
And deservedly so judging by this latest album, on which he expands his basic looped bluesharp, beatbox ’n’-foot stomp grooves to accommodate additional layers of guitar, piano and organ, along with some sultry female backing vocals underpinning his own whisky ’n’ Woodbine voice.
Like Seasick Steve, the key to Son Of Dave’s appeal lies in the mesmeric, mantra-like quality of his grooves, whether he’s doing a strutting funk-blues rap chant like the opening “Old Times Were Good Times”, combining hums, murmurs, handclaps and gently throbbing harmonica as on the spiteful “Your Mercedes”, or effecting a slinky falsetto cover of War’s classic “Low Rider”.
"Lover Not A Fighter" from O3 features in this month's Independent Audio Player. CLICK HERE to listen.
To order any CD previewed here, call the Independent Music Service on 01634 832 789.
Listen to his collaboration with Naughty Boymusic
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers