Chico Hamilton Quintet / Elmer Bernstein, Sweet Smell Of Success
A world away from the Ealing comedies on which his reputation was built, Alexander Mackendrick’s Sweet Smell Of Success is a unique piece of amoral showbiz noir, whose malicious protagonists...
... nasty gossip columnist JJ Hunsecker (Burt Lancaster) and weaselly PR flack Sidney Falco (Tony Curtis) – make Simon Cowell seem the very soul of benevolent charm.
The film’s impact was magnified by Elmer Bernstein’s orchestrations, with brash trumpets, mocking reeds and louche, sizzling cymbals perfectly evoking the callous swagger of the showbiz milieu.
The score is accompanied here by Chico Hamilton’s music for the club scenes.
To order any CD previewed here, call the Independent Music Service on 01634 832 789.
Arts & Ents blogs
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
Fracking is turning the US into a bigger oil producer than Saudi Arabia
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
How climate change helped Genghis Khan: Scientists believe a sudden period of warmer weather allowed the Mongols to invade with such success
- 1 Hells of residence: Inside Macedonia's horrifying student accommodation - where the walls are green and the food is black
- 2 Arrest made after man is found by the side of the road with his penis cut off
- 3 Michael Schumacher 'experience' gives F1 legend chance to 'show his character', says Lewis Hamilton
- 4 Girl found in the Amazon rainforest with neighbour Grover Morales after going missing for 7 months
- 5 Disney's Frozen is 'very evil' gay propaganda, says Christian pastor