Ones to Watch: Florence And The Machine
The host of Independent Music Radio introduces rising stars
Wednesday 18 June 2008
A strong performance at Steve Lamacq’s stage at the SXSW festival was my personal introduction to London’s Florence Welch, whose “machine”, in that instance, turned out to be simply a rather low-key guitarist.
Yet, even given that rather more high-profile figures such as Lightspeed Champion have been known to appear in the role, the star of the show is most definitely Florence – and most specifically Florence’s voice, which combines a definite debt to the blues with an idiosyncrasy reminiscent of Björk or Kate Bush.
She’s not in that league yet, but a reported record label bidding war suggests big things are predicted.
The single ‘Kiss With A Fist’ is released by Moshi Moshi on 9 June
To listen to Independent Music Radio, visit www.independent.co.uk/radio.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 2 Loom bands: Bids for dress made from colourful rubber pass £170,000 on eBay
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’