Adele's 21 tops Amazon's best-selling albums of all time list
Daft Punk are top of the list for 2013 with 'Random Access Memories'
Popular British singer-songwriter Adele has topped Amazon’s best-selling albums list with her 2011 release, 21.
Adele's album topped the chart after shifting huge digital and physical sales on the site since its 2011 release.
To date, 21 has been certified platinum 16 times in the UK and achieved diamond status in the US. A massive 28 million copies of the album have been sold worldwide.
In second place was Britain’s Got Talent winner Susan Boyle with her debut I Dreamed A Dream. The original Broadway cast’s recording of hit musical Wicked, composed by Stephen Schwartz, was named third.
Adele’s first album, 19, is also on the top ten best-sellers list at number eight. The singer is the only artist to feature in the list twice.
Lady Gaga leads the best-selling MP3 albums list with Born This Way, thanks to a promotion at the time that saw Amazon offer the album for just 99 cents during the its first week of sale.
Mumford & Sons’ Sigh No More was second on the MP3 download list with The Lumineers’ self-titled album in third.
In 2013, Random Access Memories from French electronic duo Daft Punk was the best-selling CD on Amazon, while Tegan & Sara’s Heartthrob was named the number one MP3 album of this year.
Robin Thicke’s controversial chart-topper “Blurred Lines” was the best-selling MP3 track of 2013, with Katy Perry’s “Roar” in second.
Amazon.com’s top ten best-selling albums of all time:
1. 21 - Adele
2. I Dreamed A Dream - Susan Boyle
3. Wicked (2003 Original Broadway Cast) - Stephen Schwartz
4. Raising Sand - Robert Plant & Alison Krauss
5. Sigh No More - Mumford & Sons
6. Fearless - Taylor Swift
7. Back to Black - Amy Winehouse
8. 19 - Adele
9. Taking the Long Way - Dixie Chicks
10. Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends - Coldplay
Grace Dent on TV The Secret Life of the Pub is sexist, ageist and a breath of fresh air
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 2 Migrant crisis: Greek soldier saved 20 people singlehandedly off Rhodes beach
- 3 Sofyen Belamouadden murder: The inside story of a crime that horrified Britain
- 4 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 5 Ian Brady: Moors murderer announces his support for Ukip and the SNP
Poldark finale episode 8, review: How a costume drama became a Sunday night swoon-fest
Al Pacino admits he was nearly fired from The Godfather and it's still his most 'difficult role'
Warner Music owner Len Blavatnik tops Sunday Times Rich List
The day I starred in Only Fools and Horses
Peter Kay’s Car Share, TV review: The perfect vehicle for Kay’s comic talents
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove