Adele's 21 tops Amazon's best-selling albums of all time list
Daft Punk are top of the list for 2013 with 'Random Access Memories'
Popular British singer-songwriter Adele has topped Amazon’s best-selling albums list with her 2011 release, 21.
Adele's album topped the chart after shifting huge digital and physical sales on the site since its 2011 release.
To date, 21 has been certified platinum 16 times in the UK and achieved diamond status in the US. A massive 28 million copies of the album have been sold worldwide.
In second place was Britain’s Got Talent winner Susan Boyle with her debut I Dreamed A Dream. The original Broadway cast’s recording of hit musical Wicked, composed by Stephen Schwartz, was named third.
Adele’s first album, 19, is also on the top ten best-sellers list at number eight. The singer is the only artist to feature in the list twice.
Lady Gaga leads the best-selling MP3 albums list with Born This Way, thanks to a promotion at the time that saw Amazon offer the album for just 99 cents during the its first week of sale.
Mumford & Sons’ Sigh No More was second on the MP3 download list with The Lumineers’ self-titled album in third.
In 2013, Random Access Memories from French electronic duo Daft Punk was the best-selling CD on Amazon, while Tegan & Sara’s Heartthrob was named the number one MP3 album of this year.
Robin Thicke’s controversial chart-topper “Blurred Lines” was the best-selling MP3 track of 2013, with Katy Perry’s “Roar” in second.
Amazon.com’s top ten best-selling albums of all time:
1. 21 - Adele
2. I Dreamed A Dream - Susan Boyle
3. Wicked (2003 Original Broadway Cast) - Stephen Schwartz
4. Raising Sand - Robert Plant & Alison Krauss
5. Sigh No More - Mumford & Sons
6. Fearless - Taylor Swift
7. Back to Black - Amy Winehouse
8. 19 - Adele
9. Taking the Long Way - Dixie Chicks
10. Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends - Coldplay
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Green village to be bulldozed and mined for lignite in Germany's quest for non-nuclear fuel
- 2 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
- 5 Now we know whose fault it is if you end up being murdered in Thailand
Before They Pass Away: In pictures
Kylie Minogue, Kiss Me Once tour, London O2 - review: Pop princess still reigns supreme
Miranda Hart and Sarah Millican lead female comedy breakthrough
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
The Simpsons death: Character killed off - but not the one you thought
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >