Adele's 21 tops Amazon's best-selling albums of all time list
Daft Punk are top of the list for 2013 with 'Random Access Memories'
Popular British singer-songwriter Adele has topped Amazon’s best-selling albums list with her 2011 release, 21.
Adele's album topped the chart after shifting huge digital and physical sales on the site since its 2011 release.
To date, 21 has been certified platinum 16 times in the UK and achieved diamond status in the US. A massive 28 million copies of the album have been sold worldwide.
In second place was Britain’s Got Talent winner Susan Boyle with her debut I Dreamed A Dream. The original Broadway cast’s recording of hit musical Wicked, composed by Stephen Schwartz, was named third.
Adele’s first album, 19, is also on the top ten best-sellers list at number eight. The singer is the only artist to feature in the list twice.
Lady Gaga leads the best-selling MP3 albums list with Born This Way, thanks to a promotion at the time that saw Amazon offer the album for just 99 cents during the its first week of sale.
Mumford & Sons’ Sigh No More was second on the MP3 download list with The Lumineers’ self-titled album in third.
In 2013, Random Access Memories from French electronic duo Daft Punk was the best-selling CD on Amazon, while Tegan & Sara’s Heartthrob was named the number one MP3 album of this year.
Robin Thicke’s controversial chart-topper “Blurred Lines” was the best-selling MP3 track of 2013, with Katy Perry’s “Roar” in second.
Amazon.com’s top ten best-selling albums of all time:
1. 21 - Adele
2. I Dreamed A Dream - Susan Boyle
3. Wicked (2003 Original Broadway Cast) - Stephen Schwartz
4. Raising Sand - Robert Plant & Alison Krauss
5. Sigh No More - Mumford & Sons
6. Fearless - Taylor Swift
7. Back to Black - Amy Winehouse
8. 19 - Adele
9. Taking the Long Way - Dixie Chicks
10. Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends - Coldplay
Oscars 2015 Mexican filmmaker uses speech to urge 'respect' for immigrants
Oscars 2015 Bringing you all the news from the 87th Academy Awards
TV ReviewThe intrigue deepens as we delve further but don't expect any answers just yet
Razzies 2015 Golden Raspberry Awards 'honours' Cameron Diaz and Kirk Cameron
Film Hollywood's new leading lady talks about her Ramsay Street days
Oscar voter speaks outfilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 MH370: 'Putin ordered plane to be flown to Kazakhstan space port,' conspiracy theory claims
Eddie Redmayne in The Danish Girl: First look at Oscar winner as transgender artist
Catwoman comes out as bisexual
Fifty Shades of Grey movie shows first sex scene 'after 40 minutes'
Justin Kelly interview: On James Franco playing a gay man who renounces his homosexuality
Grace Dent on TV: Mary Portas: Secret Shopper delves into a grim cornucopia of retail wrongness
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East