Apple announces most-downloaded iTunes songs of all time
Thursday 25 February 2010
The world's most popular online music retailer, Apple's iTunes, reached a landmark milestone on February 25 when it sold its 10 billionth song. To celebrate the monumental occasion iTunes released its list of most-downloaded iTunes songs of all time.
At the top of the list was the Black Eyed Peas' "I Gotta Feeling." The avant-garde lady of pop, Lady Gaga, followed behind in second place with her hit "Poker Face." Gaga's collaboration with Colby O'Donis, "Just Dance" and her chart-topping hit "Bad Romance" also made it into the list at numbers six and 22 respectively.
Songs from other well-known artists such as Coldplay, Taylor Swift, Rihanna, P!nk, Katy Perry and Beyoncé also featured in Apple's list of most-downloaded songs of all time.
Apple's iTunes store has the biggest music catalog in the world, with over 12 million songs available for download. In 2008 iTunes overtook Wal-Mart to become the number one music retailer in the US. Best Buy, Amazon and Target lagged behind in the third, fourth and fifth positions.
In less than seven years since its initial launch, iTunes has grown to become the world's largest music retailer with some reports stating that it accounts for more than 70 percent of worldwide online music sales.
Apple's most-downloaded iTunes songs of all time:
1. "I Gotta Feeling" by Black Eyed Peas
2. "Poker Face" by Lady Gaga
3. "Boom Boom Pow" by Black Eyed Peas
4. "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz
5. "Viva la Vida" by Coldplay
6. "Just Dance" by Lady Gaga & Colby O'Donis
7. "Low" (feat. T-Pain) by Flo Rida
8. "Love Story" by Taylor Swift
9. "Bleeding Love" by Leona Lewis
10. "Tik Tok" by Ke$ha
11. "Disturbia" by Rihanna
12. "So What" by P!nk
13. "I Kissed a Girl" by Katy Perry
14. "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)" by Beyoncé
15. "Hot N Cold" by Katy Perry
16. "Stronger" by Kanye West
17. "Live Your Life" (feat. Rihanna) by T.I.
18. "Hey There Delilah" by Plain White T's
19. "Right Round" by Flo Rida
20. "Party In the U.S.A." by Miley Cyrus
21. "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey
22. "Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga
23. "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon
24. "Fireflies" by Owl City
25. "How to Save a Life" by The Fray
GlastonburyWI to make debut appearance at Somerset festival
TV reviewIt has taken seven episodes for Game of Thrones season five to hit its stride
FilmPalme d'Or goes to radical and astonishing film that turns conventional thinking about immigrants on its head
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 California man brutally beat 82-year-old Sikh grandfather he mistook for 'one of those people'
- 2 Amber Peat: Body found in search for missing 13-year-old who left house after argument with her parents
- 3 School kitchen manager 'fired from Colorado school for giving hungry students free lunches'
- 4 Gay teenager 'forced to have sex with his own mother' to 'cure' his homosexuality, campaigners in India say
- 5 Charles Kennedy 'had better judgement drunk than many sober politicians' says Ian Hislop
Syd Barrett's inner visions
Britain's Got Talent 2015: Simon Cowell 'feels like an idiot' after Jules and Matisse scandal
Game of Thrones season 6: George RR Martin doing 'anything he can' to get new book The Winds of Winter out before next HBO series airs
Game of Thrones, Battle of Hardhome: 20-minute Wildlings versus White Walkers battle took a 'solid month' to film
Game of Thrones season 5 episode 9, The Dance of Dragons: Jon Snow returns to The Wall after epic Battle of Hardhome
Thousands of teenage girls enduring debilitating illnesses after routine school cancer vaccination
Migrants in Kos: Photos show real tragedy after Brits abroad complain of 'awkward' holidays
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
Michael Gove determined to scrap the Human Rights Act – even if Scotland retains it
Threat to scrap Human Rights Act could see UK follow Nazi example, warns UN official
Church of England 'one generation away from extinction' after dramatic loss of followers