Band accuse VW over ad
The ghostly vocals, echoing guitars and swelling chorus could only be Beach House, the Baltimore duo acclaimed for their “dream pop” sound.
But the group are taking legal action against Volkswagen after accusing the car maker of creating a "sound-alike" track for its latest advertising campaign.
The Volkswagen song emerged after Beach House had refused requests from the car manufacturer to use their song "Take Care" in a UK campaign. The lyrics to the VW song, produced by musicians hired by the DDB agency, include: "I'll watch over you/ I'll watch over you." The Beach House song goes: "I'd take care of you/ If you ask me to."
Volkswagen denied any intention of copying Beach House's song. A spokesman said: "We greatly respect the talent of Beach House and never set out to replicate a specific song."
Grace Dent on TVtv
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Academy criticised after no non-white actors nominated
tvAn expose of hooliganism masquerading as an ideological battle
artLee Hadwin can't draw when he's awake, but by night he's an artist
‘Remember the attackers are a cold-blooded, crazy minority’, says Blek le Rat
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 Nineteen-year-old student left gifts for parents before taking her own life
- 4 Deliberately urinating before sex can increase risk of urinary tract infections
- 5 Winston Churchill: From accusations of anti-Semitism to the blunt refusal that led to the deaths of millions
British Muslim leaders outraged after Eric Pickles says followers of Islam should 'prove their identity'
UK terror fears: My jihadist son returned from Syria mentally scarred – now he is being ignored
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
Billy Crystal: 'Stop shoving gay sex scenes in my face'
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
David Cameron says anyone criticising Eric Pickles' letter to Muslims 'really has a problem'