#Beautiful: Why hashtags are going to the top of the charts
As if the pop charts didn’t have enough problems with dwindling sales, they now appear to be dealing with a case of hashtag-itis.
This embarrassing condition, likely spread by marketing executives trying to seduce the world’s youth, causes the infamous # to appear in the titles of pop singles like a rash.
Popular with collaborations, the social-media-obsessed will.i.am and Justin Bieber helped get the ball rolling with their song, “#thatPOWER” which was taken from will’s (or should that be i.am’s?) album #willpower.
Even those old enough to know better are getting in on the act: take J.Lo and Pitbull’s song “#LiveItUp” or Mariah Carey’s effort with Miguel, “#Beautiful”.
Many have pointed out that while the prefix can make searching social media useful, if you look for “#beautiful”, and you’re just as likely to get a picture of someone’s baby or breakfast as you are a comment on the song.
It’s surely only a matter of time before someone releases a single called “#hashtag” or worse, “##”.
Art Piece taken off website amid 'severe security alert'
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Academy criticised after no non-white actors nominated
tvAn expose of hooliganism masquerading as an ideological battle
artLee Hadwin can't draw when he's awake, but by night he's an artist
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 5 Watch Richard Dawkins read his own hatemail: 'I hope you do get sodomised by satanic monkeys in hell'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
30,000 reasons why the rhetoric on immigrants claiming benefits can stop now