Brighton restricts beach parties after Fatboy Slim concert chaos
Saturday 21 December 2002
Fatboy Slim will not be able to repeat this summer's huge Brighton beach party next year after councillors decided that adequate safety controls could not be put in place in time.
However, Brighton and Hove City Council has said the party, which drew 250,000 people in July, can return in 2004 once procedures for coping with the crowds are in place. Until then, it has decided to restrict open-air events on the beach to about 60,000 people, the number that the authorities had expected to go to the party by the DJ, also known as Norman Cook.
When hundreds of thousands of people descended on the beach, the town ground to a halt and there were serious problems cleaning up the beach after the event. An Australian nurse died when she fell over seafront railings shortly after the party.
The council's culture committee had considered banning large open-air events on the beach but has decided they can go ahead once new guidelines are approved. The regulations are likely to put a limit on the number of people who can attend, make events ticket-only and possibly restricted to a fenced-in area.
Mike Middleton, a Labour member of the culture committee, said that the council had agreed to give itself a "breathing space" next year but was happy to host a big beach party in 2004.
"We felt that 2003 would be too soon to host a large music spectacular on Brighton beach. Everybody was caught out last year and we don't want that to happen again," he said.
"If somebody wanted to stage an event next summer they would have to start planning now. People think it is too short a timescale to sort it all out on time.
"I would like it to happen again, but we would rather get it right than have the bad publicity like this year."
Councillors believe Cook's event was a victim of its own success because no one had anticipated such large crowds arriving. Another member of the committee, Brian Fitch, said the council needed to develop a strategy to ensure it could hold big events that would be safe and successful. "We wouldn't forgive ourselves if a tragedy occurred," he said.
A spokesman for Norman Cook said no decision had been taken yet about an event next year. "Obviously, we would adhere to any council recommendations in regard to future plans for live events on Brighton beach," he said.
TVJamie's Sugar Rush reveal's campaigning chef's new foe
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 4 Bob Geldof offers to take four refugee families into his home 'immediately' as he condemns humanitarian crisis as a ‘f**king disgrace'
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
Three million books were judged by their covers - this is what happened
Anne Hathaway is already being stung by Hollywood ageism, aged 32
No Escape, film review: Thriller generates plenty of excitement but soon collapses
The Lobster trailer: Colin Farrell has 45 days to find a lover or he'll be turned into an animal
Spanish town saved by botched restoration of century-old Christian 'Ecce Homo' fresco of Jesus
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 250,000 back our campaign
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be