Carnaby Street: The album. No, really
“Carnaby Street” is the latest “Rock of Ages”-style musical to hit the theatre. Recently performed at the Hackney Empire in the capital, producers must be confident that the sound of swinging London is due a revival, as they have just released an accompanying soundtrack.
Featuring some original songs from the musical sung by the cast (which included one Sid Owen), you’ll find a whole host of classic tracks on there that perfectly illustrate swinging London in the Sixties such as, er, “Baby It’s You” by the Shirelles (hailing from New Jersey) and Chuck Berry’s “Roll Over Beethoven” (St Louis, Missouri).
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that most of the artists who were more closely connected to the famous Soho shopping street, such as The Rolling Stones, refused to have anything to do with the musical, even threatening legal action against producers after they stated their intent to include the Stones’ “Let’s Spend The Night Together”.
We won’t hold our breath for the big screen adaptation.
sportLiverpool 5 Norwich City 1: Uruguayan striker has now scored 11 league goals against the club
filmWith more than 70 per cent of early films lost, archivists are scouring the world to preserve the precious examples that remain
NFL fans were so loud during a match that their celebrations registered as a minor earthquake
Tyre firm aimed to show how their tyres would perform in ‘unexpected’ conditions
Arts & Ents blogs
Paul Walker death: Filming of Fast and Furious 7 on hold following death of actor
Ten adverts that shocked the world
Christmas TV 2013: Downton Abbey special details revealed
Morgan Freeman portrait: The world's most realistic finger painting?
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
- 1 The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are 'better at map reading'
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 UK chef creates world's most expensive ready meal - a fish pie costing £314
- 4 Food poverty in UK has reached level of 'public health emergency', warn experts
- 5 I’m sure Kate Moss doesn't care about posing for Playboy. But I do