Dido says it's not so bad being dropped from Brits newcomer shortlist

Click to follow
The Independent Culture

Dido was dropped from one of the shortlists in the Brit Awards after organisers realised she was not eligible for the award.

The star has been ousted from the best newcomer category and replaced by the singer-songwriter Tom McRae.

Eyebrows were raised when the nominations, which were announced on Monday, included Dido in the list for best newcomer, because she had been included in the category of best female the previous year.

Dido said she had no idea that she was ineligible for the category but was unconcerned at being dropped. "I think it's quite funny, it's so silly," she said. "You just don't question it if you're given a nomination. You don't think, 'Oh, am I eligible?' You just don't know the rules. I don't know if anyone knows the rules."

The mistake was made by the Official UK Charts Company, which compiles the top 40 album and singles charts. It puts together the list of eligible entrants for the Brit Awards. Those names then go forward to a panel of industry figures, whose votes decide the shortlists.

When the company's mistake was discovered, the executive producer of the Brit Awards decided that Dido's name should be dropped at once. Dido is now nominated in three categories – best British album, best video and best female solo artist.

The Official UK Charts Company said it was sorry for the upset and inconvenience caused to Dido, her record company, the Brits and BBC Radio 1 listeners, who vote on the winner from the shortlists.

It is not the first time that the Brit Awards' shortlists have had to be revamped. In 2000, "King of My Castle" by Wamdue Project was dropped from the category of best single because it was discovered that none of the artists had a British passport.

Comments